Monday, November 8, 2010

NWP Conference in Orlando, Florida


I am excited to announce I was invited to attend the National Writing Project Conference to be held Nov. 17-20 in Orlando, Florida. I'll be staying at the Disney Beach Club Resort with Bailey, another MWP Teaching Consultant.
I can't wait to listen to the keynote speaker, Donalyn Miller, the author of The Book Whisperer. One book review states her beliefs about reading so well, I won't try to paraphrase it: "Her approach is simple yet provocative: affirm the reader in every student, allow students to choose their own books, carve out extra reading time, model authentic reading behaviors, discard timeworn reading assignments such as book reports and comprehension worksheets, and develop a classroom library filled with high-interest books." Apparently, she can make book whisperers out of anyone!
My sessions include: Reading the Research: Because Digital Writing Matters, More Than Assessment: Our Analytic Writing Continuum at Work for Sites, Unique Youth Writing Programs for Diverse Populations, Using Talk, Literature, and Place-Based Poetry for Writing Development in Early Childhood Classrooms, and Inviting Families into Literacy Partnership.
On Thursday evening, we have tickets to go to Epcot. I've never been there before and I'm looking forward to it.
On Friday, we'll go to Bongo's Cuban Cafe and meet up with all the "Maine" people! I've never eaten Cuban food before-should be interesting!
I'll be blogging while I'm there, so check in and leave me some comments!


No comments:

Post a Comment