Sunday, October 10, 2010

Flat Iron Pond

Flat Iron Pond Cabins
We went for a beautiful ride in the woods last Saturday. Although the leaves are not as vibrant as in past years, they are still pretty. We set out to visit the Flat Iron Pond Cabins as we are thinking of renting one next summer. I first learned about this place when I went to Gilmoor's Ice-Cream stand in Lincoln on my daughter's last day of scooping ice-cream. The owners of the cabins had parked beside me and they had their dog leashed letting her drink water and enjoying a small doggie ice-cream treat. We chatted about our dogs and I asked them where the cabins they had advertised on their truck were located. Surprise-pretty much in our back yard-actually about an hour's drive through the woods. I told them we'd be by to visit sometime.
I packed my cooler (the blue one that goes everywhere I go!) with a veggie wrap, yogurt, and a banana. The dogs hopped in the back seat donning their orange neck warmers and Mark put all his hunting gear under the back seat to attempt some "heater hunting" on the trip out. He gave me the Gazette. I am not a map reader and he knows it. He said, "Today's a good day to learn." My attitude has always been-he'll get me there. If not, I'll go with someone that can! I'd rather go to every gas station along the way than read a map! I think it runs in my family. My dad has a hard time reading maps, my mom doesn't even attempt, and just a few weeks ago, my oldest sister followed me out of the Webb Cove camp road and after giving her explicit directions of how to get back to my mom and dad's house, she took a left where I had told her to take a right and ended up in Burlington. She called me 1/2 hour later and said, "I think I went the wrong way!" So there you have it, I'm not sure if my sister Karen can read a map, but I'm pretty sure my other sister Rodonna could find her way our of a cave with a map. I mean, she drove to Alaska once!
I had a million things to do at home and decided to just take my cooler and my camera and enjoy the ride. About 5 minutes into the ride, Boomer began whining. We stopped on the dirt road and let him out thinking he had to go to the bathroom. He just wanted to sniff around and see where we were! Once the dogs got settled in, the ride was peaceful and I even closed my eyes a few times. We didn't see any birds, so Mark was a bit bummed because we've been watching the turkeys in our yard for so long, he thinks he's forgotten what a partridge looks like! We finally arrived at the sign that pointed us to the cabins. We went down a long, narrow, winding drive. The pond came into view along with the main cabin. (Our dogs liked their dog, Bella. That's promising!)
The owners built all of these cabins by themselves. They have outfitted each one with handmade furniture. I'll take you inside one of them:



They took us through all 3 cabins and showed us the shower house that is powered by a generator. Then we all went down to the beach and that sand looked like it belonged on an exotic beach. It was a fine, white sand and I could just imagine feeling it between my toes on a hot summer day. Before we left, I went for a swing. I've been asking for a swing just like this since I moved. I'm asking for one for my birthday next year. Maybe I'll finally get one! After the swing, we loaded up the dogs, rode home through route 11, stopped for a coffee and tried to figure out a way we could be the owners of those cabins. We both got up on Monday morning to teach. But I have thought of those cabins every single day since. I think I could live there.

1 comment:

  1. Kim ~ The cabins look beautiful and a perfect spot to spend summer days. Thanks for sharing your trip!

    ReplyDelete